October 27, 2010

ThE TruE mEaning of beAting CaNcer!

              October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
It's the one Month you constantly see the Pink Ribbon that represents Breast Cancer. When I see the ribbon it gives me a sense of peace knowing there is awareness and people praying and
working to find the cure. I am one of those people!
 I pray for the day when the words "Breast Cancer" will not leave fear in it's wake, that it will simply be an "inconvenience" like the flu, along with all the other types of cancer.
  I lost my mom in the Summer of 2007. To describe how she died is simply "she died of cancer." In that sentence to me simply states, the cancer won. Because when you hear the word cancer, you always see the word battle in some way or the other, in a way it's simply the battle for your life.
 The sentence "died of cancer" has always bugged me (besides the word died & cancer) I could never pin point it or Describe it in words, until now.
 To describe my mom, there are not enough words, but the one that does come to mind is Amazing! She certainly was. An Amazing Wife, Mother, Sister, Daughter, Friends. She was so many things and Amazing  she was at all of them.
 She was diagnosed with Breast Cancer is September of 2001, and with it came a battle! I described her who she was before the words "breast cancer" came into our lives. I'd used the same exact description I did before.
 She was still the same Person! She did lose many things that the cancer took away, like her health, her hair, the many abilities she had, that she could no longer do, but it did not take away HER! It did give her some things, like compassion for those who were battling cancer also, at her chemo treatments she would bring laughter into those sad rooms where they were all lined up in recliners hooked up to IVs and dreading what came next. That chemo room was never the same once she touched it. It was no longer the room of sadness, but of room of hope and new found friendship. That room was no longer the room of doom but yet called " the Party Room."
 That was my Mom! So to describe beating cancer to me, is my mom!
The cancer may have taken her body but it did not take her spirit, her love of life and adventures, nor who she was what she believed in, and best yet, her personality.
 The cancer took many things from her, but it did not take her.
She was still the same Amazing person she always was before breast cancer touched her life.
 Even though my mom is no longer here, she is still living. She is still living though her stories, her courage, and her love.
 And that is the THE TRUE MEANING OF BEATING CANCER!


  Not that leaves me to My first BOOK REVIEW!
I just read Promise Me   How a sister's Love launched the Global Movement to End Breast Cancer  By: Nancy Brinker


I will tell ya, it is a tear jerker. It hit very close to home for me.
It is about Susan Komen, how she battled breast cancer and later died, and before she
died she asked her sister Nancy to promise her that she will make sure that there is awareness
and ways to help find the cure.
That is what Nancy did, she founded the Susan G. Komen Foundation.
I recommend it for anyone who has been closely linked to breast cancer
in some way or is curious.
I love this book because it goes back to when Breast Cancer was first found and diagnosed and
how far treatments and awareness has come.
It took me the whole month of October to finish because, I would cry and have to
set it down for a couple days and then go back to it.
But i really enjoyed reading it and knowing that there are so many people out in the world
that are praying and working towards the same thing I am,
and that finding the Cure to End Breast Cancer once and for all.